Tried and Tested free resources and guidance:
- Do you need further guidance on the rules? Download Tried & Tested briefing: Farming Rules for Water.
- For further clarity on Rule 1: planning use of manures and fertilisers Download the Tried and Tested briefing on Rule 1
- The Environment Agency (EA) will be expecting industry recognised guidance such as the Tried & Tested Nutrient Management Plan to have been used to assess compliance with the rules.
- For further information on using and storing manures download Tried & Tested Think Manures?
- Tried & Tested has a comprehensive tool kit of resources and guidance for farmers will support compliance with the regulations, they are available to download online or by post for free.
Government advice, guidance and grant support:
- Government guidance on Farming Rules for Water (FRFW) for England can be found here and here?
- Protecting our Water, Soil and Air – a code of good agricultural practice, produced by Defra, that has dedicated sections on manure and nutrient management planning.
- Catchment Sensitive Farming (CSF) – if you farm in a high-priority area (follow the instructions to find out), CSF can provide free training, advice, and grant support to help protect water and air quality. The training and advice covers manure and nutrient management, while the grant support can unlock access to certain items, such as slurry store covers or sediment traps.
- Environment Agency (EA) – as the body responsible for the current problematic interpretation of Farming Rules for Water, the EA has produced guidance on the relevant part of the regulations, what compliance looks like and the evidence required on inspection. Or download the useful summary, Farming Rules for Water: are you on the right track? Alternatively, you can call the EA on 03708 506 506 or email [email protected] for more information.
- Farming Advice Service (FAS) – funded by Defra, the FAS offers free technical and business advice to farmers on water quality and other regulations via its helpline (03000 200 301). It also puts on local events, publishes newsletters and holds webinars.
Watch the FAS webinar on Farming Rules for Water for more clarity on the rules, examples and tips to help you comply.